Like any other health measure, it’s important for men to properly care for their sperm health, especially if they are trying to conceive. If you and your partner are experiencing difficulties in this area, you may want to consider taking a male fertility supplement. These supplements are formulated with various sperm-boosting nutrients that may impart benefits for male fertility.
How Does Supplementation Benefit Sperm Health?
Male infertility issues are involved in more than 50% of cases1 of couples with conception problems. Often, this is due to sperm health issues. The main parameters for healthy sperm are:
- Sperm count, as higher levels increase the chances of sperm reaching and penetrating an egg
- Sperm motility (i.e. movement), as strong sperm is more likely to reach the egg for fertilization
- Sperm morphology (i.e. shape and size), as those with the correct head and tail shape and size can better penetrate eggs
- Sperm DNA quality, as higher levels of DNA damage can impact conception
Which Nutrients May Promote Male Fertility Benefits?
Specific nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, may benefit male fertility. Since many Americans fail to meet the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)2 set forth by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) through food sources alone, supplementation is often advised. These nutrients include:
- Vitamin C – A powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C may reduce oxidative stress3, protect against cellular damage, and help to support sperm quality, count, and motility. For men 19 years and older, the RDA for Vitamin C is 90 mg4.
- Vitamin D – An antioxidant, vitamin D may improve the production of the male hormone, testosterone, and also promote semen quality5, particularly motility. The suggested RDA for Vitamin D is 600 IU6.
- Selenium – A mineral with antioxidative properties, selenium is considered essential for sperm development7, or spermatogenesis, and plays a role in sperm motility and morphology. The RDA for selenium is 55 mcg8.
- Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 – An essential antioxidant required for energy production, CoQ10 may improve sperm function9, including count, motility, and morphology, and defend against DNA damage. Although there is no official RDA from the NIH for CoQ10, healthcare experts typically recommend a dosage of 30-200 mg10.
- Lycopene – Supplementation of this antioxidant has been shown to improve sperm motility and morphology11 by neutralizing and reducing free radicals. There is no official RDA for lycopene, but some studies have shown sperm and pregnancy rate improvements with as little as 4-8 mg daily12.
- Grape seed extract – Derived from wine grape seeds, this very powerful antioxidant may promote normal cell development. Research shows that it may protect against testicular and DNA damage13, and increase sperm count, motility, and viability, the percentage of live sperm in a semen sample. Currently, there are no definite RDAs established for grape seed extract, and various studies have used different dosage amounts to address a wide range of health concerns.
- L-Citrulline – An amino acid, an essential building block used to make proteins, this nutrient converts into the amino acid L-arginine14, which boosts nitric oxide production. This chemical improves blood flow, and studies suggest it may be effective for erectile dysfunction. The general dosage recommendation ranges between 3-6 grams15. L-Citrulline combined with another natural substance, French Maritime Pine Bark Extract, may improve all semen parameters16.
- French Maritime Pine Bark Extract – This nutrient possesses antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It may improve sperm morphology and function. In one 2002 study17, a daily dosage of 200 mg was administered orally over a period of 90 days, resulting in an improved sperm morphology for 38% of the participants.
Shop Male Fertility Supplements
Nutrabloom’s Male Fertility Formula, formulated by fertility experts, is designed to support optimal sperm health and promote ideal male reproductive conditions. This supplemental blend contains optimal levels of multifunctional antioxidants, including vitamins C and D, the mineral selenium, CoQ10, and lycopene.